Wednesday 18 November 2009

Frontal Lobe and meditation

I was thinking how there's been a few times I've thought about dropping meditation over the past few weeks but now find I have no such doubts. Everything feels a lot easier, I don't have mood swings at all. That doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying myself - but I have found I enjoy more present moments in my life, rather than thinking about when that next enjoyable moment might be (usually playing sport but it could be anything).

My thoughts have become a lot calmer and I find solutions to problems come a lot easier and without feeling I've tried so hard to think of them.

I've read quite a bit about the possible reasons behind all of this and it seems that meditation has a huge effect on the Brain's frontal lobe, http://www.crystalinks.com/medbrain.html
About the frontal lobe: The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions, override unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events. Therefore, it is involved in higher mental functions.
 Apparently the biggest changes to the frontal lobe comes about after 8 weeks of meditation exercises. After this, continual practise will further enhance frontal lobe development. But it's this first 8 weeks where the biggest changes take effect. So it's no-wonder that there will be occasions when you feel you're getting somewhere nice and quick, just to feel a few days later that you're taking a step back. Towards the end of this initial period (could take longer or less for some) your Brain has a much greater defence towards going back to old habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment